Monday, November 05, 2007

growing up

This is how William entertained himself for 30 minutes following his nap, today. With one hand he lugged Charlie's briefcase around the house and with his other hand, he tried to hold his pants up that kept falling down to his knees. When he'd walk out the front door he'd yell over his shoulder "Bye Sweet-tart. I'm goin' to work!"


Then he would walk to the car, turn around and come back. As he walked through the door he'd yell "Hi Honey. I'm home!!"

Even though the days can be exceptionally long with 3-three year olds, in the grand scheme of things, the time that they are little is so fleeting. How quickly it seems our three babies turned in to three toddlers who are now continuing the growth evolution in to three rambunctious preschoolers.

There are definitely moments where I question what the heck I got myself in to, but I'm happy to report that even after the most trying of days, motherhood is everything that I thought it would be. And more.

Sometimes, I am unable to hold back the tears of frustration and utter exhaustion. Sometimes, I am unable to hold back the tears of joy, that I would have been so blessed. And sometimes, I am unable to hold back the tears from knowing that these little people won't always be little. I won't always be able to tuck them in at night. I won't always be directly responsible for keeping them safe. I won't always know exactly where they are, who they are with and what they are doing. I won't always be able to embrace them in a hug whenever and however often I want.

I've heard that having children is like having your heart on the outside of your body. That is true. It is also true that watching children grow up is incredibly bittersweet because I know it won’t be long before they really are venturing off in to the world on their own.

I just hope they'll be completely potty trained by then.

8 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss this, too: "I won't always be able to embrace them in a hug whenever and however often I want."
    I am also going to miss her giving me hugs like that, too!
    I guess it's all how you look at things. We won't ever miss someone yelling, "NO!" back at us every 2 minutes... I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am nodding in agreement as I read this post. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
    I think back to the days when my kids were little and of course there were times I thought I'd never get out of that phase and, suddenly, here we are with two teenagers.
    I know you have some long days, but it is also very clear you truly cherish this time with your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends WHEN you decide to send them off into the world if they will be potty trained or not... Maybe that will be your guide! Precious they are! Keep up the good work - when you feel like screaming - give them a hug - it always makes you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gonna miss the wet/schloppy kisses that my 3yo STILL gives me whenever I request one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so awesome the legacy charlie is teaching william on how to treat his wife and be so excited about you in the going and coming that he has already picked up on it...that is HUGE! :) you picked a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's also like having my BRAIN on the outside of my body.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so adorable... 'sweet tart'.

    and how nice that your kids hear that greeting every day from your husband. i'm guessing he says that a lot.

    ReplyDelete