Thursday, August 02, 2007

i'm in trouble

Last night, I went out with my fellow 2-year old triplet moms for dinner and dessert and I didn't get home until 12:15 AM.

Charlie was standing by the door, in his pajamas, waiting for me and Henry.

I felt like a teenager, coming in way past my curfew to the great inquisition.

"Are you aware that it's past midnight?! Why were you out so late?! You should be in bed sleeping! Do you not realize that you had a baby four weeks ago, you have a newborn?!
"

My response was "Oh, is that what this appendage is on the front of my body, dangling from my nipple?"

The truth is, although Charlie would have been in bed sleeping soundly, ever since Henry has arrived, I'm always up past midnight. Although, I was quite surprised that he slept the entire six hours we were gone. He woke up only twice, momentarily, to nurse before falling back in to a deep and quiet slumber.

My girlfriends were amazed at Henry's ability to "vertically nurse" while suspended in the Baby Bjorn, but I was more amazed at how peaceful he was.

Equally amazing was that four women, with fourteen children under the age of five between us, had enough stamina to stay until the restaurant not only closed, but turned on it's lights and shooed us out.

Based on the experience, I'm thinking that it might not be a bad idea to keep Henry in the Baby Bjorn all night, every night. I'm currently trying to figure out if I can sleep in it, sitting up comfortably.

My evening out provided some much needed "me" time, while I ate decadent food, sipped imported champagne with a rose petal on top, and listened to stories about my friend's children that sounded remarkably similar to my own.

Although I can certainly understand and appreciate Charlie's worry, it's humorous that a night full of talk about potty training and what's hot for a third birthday party ... would land me in hot water with my husband.

Jen, the renegade mother.

But I'm not totally irresponsible.

At least I covered Henry's head with a napkin before I dove in to my hot fudge brownie sundae.

And when I showed Charlie that I brought him home an 8-layer chocolate tiramisu cake drenched in fudge and topped with strawberries ... I was almost completely forgiven.

11 comments:

  1. That is sooooo awesome! It's nice to have a little "me" time! I get to go the Dodger game this Saturday night without Mark and Shayna. I can't wait to go to the bathroom by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore that picture of Henry.

    Where'd you get that dessert? I need that right this minute. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you give us an update on your father-in-law?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, You!
    I'm glad you had some time out.
    But is Charlie going to take away your car keys....?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that funny. I get in trouble for cruising Wal-mart until midnight. Like I could really get in trouble around there? Glad you had a great time, I wish I had a little circle like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! You are so sweet & such a thoughtful Mommy to cover his head with a napkin :) Love it....what a darling & a such a great family. Thank you for sharing you journey and adorable children....all 4 of them.

    Tam :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As one of the "bad influence" moms who kept you out so late, I'm happy to hear that you aren't grounded for life. Smart thinking with the 8-layer appeasement.

    And I have to admit that, having arrived home at 12:15 myself and being unable to then sleep until 1:45 a.m., I felt a bit like you today: Sleep deprived and seeing multiples. Only, MY mulitples stop at three . . . there's no extra Bjorn appendage hanging on my nipple.

    :)
    Debbie
    fellow triplet mom, fellow hot fudge sundae eater

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great post! I am happy for you that you got some much needed "me" time!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! What restaurant was that??? That looks like one of the best desserts on earth.

    I think it is great that you took some time to meet up with friends.

    The pictures of Henry are so darn cute.

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did your husband think you were going to take Henry on his first bank robbing? Although....with 4 children, maybe not such a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a wonderful night out!

    My girls night out almost always goes later than planned. That "me" time is just so good for you!

    ReplyDelete