Friday, January 04, 2008

month six: in review

Stop the clock!!


I blink and it's already been a half year since you were born to me.


If I could, I would like to keep you this size for at least another few years.


This size, this perfect size, right where you are, right now.


You are the most delightful and adorable baby I have ever laid my eyes upon. You can often hear me ask your father "Were the triplets this beautiful? Were our other children so absolutely adorable?" and your dad will always respond "Yep. They were just as beautiful. Although it's difficult to remember how adorable they were as little babies when they are hitting each other in the head with spoons and destroying our stuff as rambunctious toddlers."

Henry, please don't ever do that. Okay?

Within this past month, you have mastered the art of rolling from your tummy to your back.

Your bouncy chair has lost it's appeal because you would much prefer to sit upright and watch the world around you. The number of days that you will be bathing in your infant tub are definitely coming to an end, because even when you are reclined in the water - you will struggle to sit up.

Last month, you discovered your hands and this month - you are using them to grab at whatever you can. My hair and my face, your siblings hair and their faces ... everything and anything within reach is fair game.


If it's within arm reach, you will get it and shove it right in to your mouth. Aunt Eileen's chin, a metal mixing bowl, a scrap of wrapping paper. It's all good.

Good luck to anyone that tries to take away something that you have in your possession. Not only are you just as strong as your siblings and are capable of holding on tight ... you scream almost as loudly as they do.

This month, I have only had to purchase two different diaper sizes - since you have now graduated in to a size 5. When I ran out of 5's and had to use a size 6 on you last week, I was slightly dismayed that my "little baby" can actually wear the same size diaper as his three older siblings. At the rate you've been growing - and the lack of food your siblings have been consuming - I wouldn't be at all surprised if you will weigh more than at least your sister Elizabeth, by the time you turn one.

Your siblings adore you. They love to make you laugh, which usually doesn't require more than them being in the same room as you. So long as they are running around and playing - you are entertained.

Although, I have had to become more protective, because it seems that lately - one of their favorite past times is running and jumping over you. Thankfully, your great Aunt Peggy sent you a pair of pants with a big red STOP on the behind that has become a part of your tummy-time wardrobe.

Your schedule is slowly falling in to place. You are routinely sleeping from 7 or 8 every night until at least 4 or 5 in the morning. Most mornings, your father will bring you from your crib and in to bed with us, where I will nurse you on and off for the next two hours. You will take a 45-minute nap in the morning and another nap in the early afternoon - around the same time your siblings take their nap. Your third nap of the day is in the late afternoon around 4:30. Although you will go to sleep in your crib with little to no fussing at night, you would much prefer to sleep in the Bjorn - suspended from my nipple chest - during the day. Because we are so often on the go, this is quite often, a fine arrangement. But when we are at home, I would much prefer that you nap in your crib or pack-n-play. You really don't like napping in your crib. Or pack-n-play. We're working on that. Sometimes you do. Sometimes you don't. Sometimes, you cry it out before falling asleep. Sometimes, I concede and either let the laundry continue to pile up so I can sit and rock you ... or ... lose all feeling in my arms because I am wearing a baby that weighs more than our vacuum cleaner.

I had started feeding you solids for a few days, but then went back to exclusive nursing. If I could, I wouldn't feed you solids for another six months. Not just because working solids in to my daily routine is slightly challenging, but because I love that you are receiving all of your nutrition from me. I also love that I am able to eat whatever I want and still manage to lose weight every week. The most important reason is because I love holding my little baby closely - several times a day - and watch your beautiful face completely relax with contentment. But when you were eating solids ... Oh!! how you loved your food. You could easily polish off an entire bowl of rice cereal and a full jar of veggies without batting an eye.

You are almost capable of sitting up unassisted and just yesterday, you were able to support your own weight while holding daddy's hand.

You have found your reflexion and will spend long stretches of time staring and laughing at yourself in the mirror. You are probably wondering, who is this gorgeous creature and where did he come from?

I know that's what I think every time I look at you.


20 comments:

  1. Absolutely adorable and stunning. The Boy just turned 1, and I wish he'd stay like this forever. But I say that at each new stage. At least we are still nursing, so I can hold on to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful baby!
    And that picture of him bathing in the sink? May I just say, he has the cutest legs in the world. I serioulsy want to reach in and smoosh them. I LOVE chunky baby legs.
    My son was a July baby, so January also marks his half birthday. Yesterday he reminded us that it is now legal for him to drive with more than one friend in the car, so "when are you going to let me, Parents?"
    Stop the Clock indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's gorgeous! What beautiful eyes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is definitely gorgeous! I'm a sucker for blue eyes.

    Cristy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Jen, he is just gorgeous. You must have done something very special to have been blessed with your four little angesl! I just can't believe it's already been 6 months!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry is gorgeous! You always get the best pics of him. I'll bet you get lost in those beautiful blues eyes all the time. My beautiful daughter will be a year old in 6 weeks. I can't believe how fast the time goes by. Her father and I have been asking her to slow down and remain our baby forever. But time marches on anyway. I can't believe he is in a size 6 diaper!! Mine wears either a 3 or 4 pampers diaper. Wow..and she is about 22-23 lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous little guy! Just recently I asked my husband the same question you asked Charlie. "Were the triplets as cute as Annie was at this age?" I think that they were, but it was such a stressful time, we weren't able to relax and appreciate it like we can with just one. In a way, it makes me feel sad that I can't remember the three like I can remember Annie. Thank God I have a zillion pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you just hear the large thud? It was me falling over from Henry's adorable-ness. Seriously - could he be any cuter?! I don't think so either...

    ReplyDelete
  10. 6 months -- wow!!!

    Beautiful dedication to the sweetest little man. Nibble those thighs for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful...words and pictures all. That last photo is just meltingly gorgeous! (Uh oh...I've just looked at the other comments and that's what everyone else said he is - guess it's offical then!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, I'm a new mom. My little one just turned 4 months yesterday. And I've lurked on your blog since Henry was born...while I was pregnant. But tonight, for the first time, I showed your blog to my husband. Your little Henry is positively adorable. Dare I say...almost as cute as mine! Seriously. All the words you say? I GET IT about my little one. I'm a first time mommy and just had NO IDEA how over the moon in love I would be with my baby. But your baby is really a close second. He is a darling and I love reading your experiences with him and the trips.

    Thank you for sharing your stories with me. It's nice to hear another mommy gush and struggle at the same time. :-)

    Andi

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG that is TOO LE QUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sweet. Happy 6 months baby Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, you just set me to weeping. I love how you love your boy. And I agree with your previous commenter. I positively SWOONED over your baby's legs!

    Enjoying your blog...glad I found it!

    Leeann
    niccofive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those blue eyes take my breath away. I think the pic of him sitting up in his bouncy seat is my favorite...SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh he makes my insides tingle!

    I have decided no more babies but when I look at Henry I reconsider!

    Please tell the trips that they are equally gorgeous!

    I sneak my morning coffee early before the tribe wakes up and your blog pops up first on my reader, it is lovely way to start the day.

    Thinking of you

    Jen in Jakarta

    ReplyDelete