Thursday, September 04, 2008

wednesday weigh in

I dread writing these weigh-in posts only to record I haven't really done much this week.

Sure, I went running one day and went to the pool one day. But on that one day I went to the pool with the intention to work out, I didn't swim because the water was chilly, so instead I climbed in to the hot tub, hung on to the wall, and kicked my legs. For a solid two minutes I kicked. And then I just sat with my back on the jets and stared at the pretty palm trees swaying over head.

So no more am I going to write posts like that.

This is a new game, baby.

AND I AM ON.

I've got until October 19 to get ready for my next triathlon.

There will be a schedule. There will be running three days a week, swimming at least two days a week and bicycling at least one day a week. Although I hear the key to improving your triathlon time is to cycle more, because you spend more time on a bike than anything else.

But, man!

There are some huge hills around my neighborhood. So I think that one day a week over this terrain is probably the equivalent of five days on flat. And yes, as a matter of fact this is a real example of the rationalization I provide to myself.

The kids start Montessori on Monday and since I'll *only* have one baby and 15 hours of *free* time each and every week, I plan to hit the gym with vengeance. I just know that it will be so much easier for me to get in to a good exercise routine once the triplets are in school and I'm sure I'll want to go to the gym every day and work out.

As opposed, to say, laying around the house and reveling in the silence.

Not me.

I'm a workout fiend.


Have you ever seen such a competitive racer?


Don't be fooled in to thinking that "Oh What a Beautiful Morning, Oh What A Beautiful Day!" was piped in over the race course. The only thing I heard on that grueling day was the sound of tires, furiously pedaling across asphalt.

I'm not smiling.

I'm grimacing and trying to look FIERCE to my competition.

And here?

The primary reason I'm smiling is because I'm not the last person to cross the finish line and not because I'm going to bust out a really! good! cheer!

Although you'd probably never know that bit about me not finishing last if I hadn't told you. Because from the look of it, there is absolutely no one in sight behind me.

But oh yes, they were there.

Even though they were in the 80 and up age category ... I kicked their asses and they KNOW IT.

17 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your triathalon competitions! My current goal is just to exercise EVERY day. So if you can bike, run, and swim every week, that is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! Love the photo's but Are those palm trees real???? ;-)

    Love Marg.

    PS I am running a "few" (2.5) miles every other day but still haven't downloaded songs on my Ipod. Be careful about telling everyone you have extra time on your hands...... ;-) Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - you crack me up! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you go! I would never look that good at the end of a triathlon...unless I crossed the finish line while being carried (on a stretcher), I'm not convinced that I would finish at all!

    I did sign up for a half marathon in six weeks...we'll see if I can do as well at that as you did at your triathlon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BOO YA! Take that grannie! (I'm still convinced you came in last place) Triathletes always impress me, well done.
    If they let me wear floaties in the swimming portion, I would consider joining you in your next race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are kicking old people ass and taking names. You looked great and like you were doing it all effortlessly.

    I've decided to start working out again too when school starts next week. I'm not sure that I'll be able to get the cobwebs off my gym card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOnestly you just crack me up, I love to read your blog! We need to move in 10 ton of hay for the horses and I'm telling you I used to be in such good shape but I think most of it has passed, I power walk with the stroller is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!! I am laughing my a$$ off! Now I don't need to go to the gym today! Thanks!

    BTW...have you siged up for our 5K yet? I don't want to be cursing your name!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also need to get my butt in gear. I don't have a race to train for but I have an expanding waist line that may force me to buy new pants if I dont' get in charge of it.

    Over the past 5 weeks I only have a 68% attendance record at the gym. I'm SURE I can do better than that in the next 5 weeks can't I??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow..you look great in both pics! Way to go...who cares what place you were in. YOU DID IT AND LOOKED GOOD DOING IT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm still trying to walk from the bedroom to the living room without my cane. So for me that is my triathalon. My ex-husband was a marathoner when he was young. I remember when he ran Boston in three hours. He looked like hell. But he did it. I think what you are doing is amazing. Keep up the good work. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You crack me up. I can always count on you to snap me into reality! I ran tonight - 4m. My 10k is in 2 weeks...well...really a week and 2 days. Oh boy. But I'm there with you on getting the majority of the kids started in school and then I'm at the Y working out...at LEAST 3 days a week. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, that's so funny. If I tried that, I would be LUCKY to beat the old folks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Check out my run posting so not pretty! But I did it thanks to you! I too want to do another one, but I really need to get some of this love off of me to really bring it home:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is awesome that you have done that. I need to get my butt in gear. My metabloism is not what it once was thats for sure!!!

    Oh and I love how you wrote "free time"! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where are you? The kids start preschool tomorrow, don't they? Are you excited? Sad? Freaking out? Inquiring minds want to know!

    ReplyDelete