Thursday, May 08, 2014

be aware of wonder

One of my favorite essays of all time, is Robert Fulghum's "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten."   My very own kindergartner, Mr. Green Thumb, came home with this little plant last week, which seven days ago, was no more than a tiny sprout.  

Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup?  The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that. 


photo

We've been watching Henry's plant every day and providing it plenty of water and sunlight.  Sure enough, it's thriving and growing so tall, it's now starting to bend under it's own weight.  Henry is totally astonished by how quickly his once little sprout is growing and changing.  And I'm astonished, too.  My baby only has five weeks of kindergarten left and then he'll be going to college in the Fall.  

Because it really seems like that's how fast it happens.