Sunday, January 26, 2014

giving thanks

This past weekend, there was a terrible fire in my mother's condominium complex.  My mother's neighbor, whose condo abuts my mother's condo, completely burned out. So, too, did the other three condos in the same building. Because my mother and Jim, thankfully, are in Florida for the winter months and will not be returning to South Carolina until at least April, my sister, Marylou went to survey the damage, yesterday.  As a result of the catastrophic Friday night fire that took firefighters five hours to put out, my mother and Jim's home sustained severe damage that will likely require the entire condo to be gutted.  When I spoke to my mother yesterday and again, today, she told me, "It's just stuff. Thank God no one was hurt. Things can be replaced.  People can't." 

Amen.

I'm so thankful no one was hurt. I'm so thankful Mom and Jim weren't there when it happened. And I'm so thankful that they won't be going back to South Carolina for several months - so hopefully, the damage will be repaired before they return.   Now, while I'm on the topic of being thankful, although Thanksgiving was two months ago, I've been wanting to jot down some thoughts about it before too much more time lapsed. This year, my sister, Eileen, her husband, Clark, and four of their five kids came to spend the holiday with us.  So, too, did my mother and Jim.  And even though there were fourteen people packed under one roof ... and a handful of those people were sick with strep throat ... this was our best Thanksgiving ever.

DSC_0537

Here are some highlights of our week together... 

Cousin Tommy, wearing Henry's Kindergarten turkey hat, dressed up and playing with the boys who were both on Cloud 9 that their awesome big cousin was playing soldiers with them! 

DSC_0450

Cousins Alana and Diana teaching Carolyn how to do a cup - clap percussion gig. 

DSC_0462

DSC_0465

DSC_0475

And then joined by Elizabeth, who wanted to learn, too. 

DSC_0481

Noni and Henry having a quiet morning conversation, over a glass of orange juice. 

DSC_0505

Tommy, who aspires to go to Annapolis, sitting with Jim and our wonderful neighbor, Tom, who both served in the Navy.  From what I could tell, they were discussing things like wartime ships and whatnot. And Tommy, the politest 17-year old young man I've ever met, asked all the correct questions to keep the conversation going. Even when Jim excused himself to go take a nap. 

DSC_0517

Diana challenging Tommy that she was strong enough to hold him ... 

DSC_0557

And then proving she was correct. 

DSC_0559

DSC_0565

Noni teaching the girls how to crochet...

DSC_0452

And then sharing with Eileen some make-up tips that she's recently learned. 

DSC_0512

DSC_0508

Eileen cuddling up with Mom and Jim.

DSC_0529

And William cuddling up with a napping Jim.

DSC_0532

Taking everyone to visit Arlington National Cemetery on a bitterly cold day.

DSC_0572

Charlie huffing it up steep hills from the lowest point, to the highest point in the cemetery, pushing Jim in a wheelchair, to visit landmarks such as John F. Kennedy's grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

DSC_0575

DSC_0580

Visiting the FDR Memorial in DC.

DSC_0593

My mother was born during the Great Depression, so this was important for her to see, and important for us to see - through her eyes. 

DSC_0596

DSC_0591

We also took Jim to visit the World War II Memorial, but by then, it was dark, late and cold. So Jim stayed in the car, while my mother and I braved the elements and walked around the perimeter.

DSC_0608

We can be so tied to our "things."  Those things, our homes and possessions, are such an important part of our life and sometimes, our identity. But from my perspective, what really makes life worth living, aren't the things - but rather - the experiences and memories of time with our loved ones.  Now that we've had 14 people under one roof, we know it can be done. So Mom and Jim, you are absolutely welcome to come stay with us for as long as necessary, should the need arise.

DSC_0530

Just be prepared, you will never be alone.