Wednesday, February 12, 2014

there are no accidents

I'm supposed to be in Lake Tahoe this week, at the annual meeting for our business group.

Instead, I'm at home. I made the decision to miss this meeting on Sunday, when Henry, who has been dealing with an infection of the relatively benign, but very troublesome molluscum contagiosum for the past 18-months, developed some frightening complications from a secondary infection over the weekend.  Ultimately, I decided that at this moment in time, my little one needed me more than my business group needed me. Even if my business group consists of some of my dearest friends, and they are meeting in one of the most beautiful places in the United States, and going on what will be an amazing snowshoeing expedition as part of a team building event. On Monday, I had Henry in to see a pediatric dermatologist and by this morning, he was feeling better.

(So, too, was my heart!)

I had no idea when I canceled my trip that a few days later, tonight, we'd be bracing for what is supposed to be the largest snowstorm since Snowmageddon in February of 2010.  See, we didn't move to northern Virginia until July of 2010, so we completely missed the awesome snowstorms that pummeled the region earlier that year.  As I've written about every winter since we've moved here - we feel like we are constantly robbed of the snowstorms that cruelly track north, south and just a gnat's eyelash to the west of us.  This year has been different though. There have been some FANTASTIC snowstorms that have caused offices and schools to close, and our children to rejoice! in sledding and snowman making. Ah, but I've missed every one of those storms because of my frequent travel.

But not tonight!

Tonight, I am here! 

With four (relatively) healthy children, a refrigerator full of food, a woodpile stocked to the top, candles and matches, flashlights and batteries, games galore, schools that have been preempteively canceled, and enough arts and crafts projects to last us through Easter ... we are ready.    

(My southern California-blooded husband was just telling me that he is tired of wearing pants every day and misses wearing shorts. With temperatures in the 20's and 10-inches of snow expected, I suspect he might be missing them for a bit longer, yet.) 

DSC_0172

Yes, we are ready. AND WE ARE SO, SO EXCITED!