Tuesday, January 21, 2014

the snow is always whiter on the other side of the continent

If I had to describe a perfect day, it very well might be a day spent at home, playing games with the children next to a raging fire, while a snowstorm rages on outside.

IMG_5898

This winter, there have been three snowstorms in our area. The first one occurred when I was on a business trip to Puerto Rico.  The second one occurred while we were in Boston over New Year's, but I didn't feel like I missed too much with that one, because we were trapped in our own snowstorm. The third one is happening RIGHT NOW, while I'm on a business trip in snowy white Canada.

photo

Today, while I walked around on a beautiful blue sky day with -30 degree temperatures (minus thirty degrees!)Charlie was home with the kids, who were out of school on a snow day, playing with blocks in front of the raging fire.

photo

Once I arrived back at my hotel and cranked the thermostat up to 90 degrees, we FaceTimed.  By the way, FaceTime is pretty much the coolest thing since .... ever.  Also, the heat in these Canadian hotels work very well, as evidenced by the decreasing layers noted on me in each subsequent FaceTime sequence.  Here are the kids trying to figure out where I am on the map of North America...

photo

Here they are showing me the pot roast that's been cooking all day in the Crock Pot (mmm, I can just imagine how wonderful it smells!)

photo

Here they are showing me what it looks like in our backyard - at this very instant...

photo

And here they are showing me that it has already snowed 3-inches in the past four hours, and the heaviest part of the storm isn't expected to hit until tonight.

photo

When I lamented that I was HERE, and not THERE to experience the awesomeness of a major snow day with the children, Charlie lamented that the kids were running from room to room in the house, chock full of SNOW DAY ENERGY, and making a disaster every where they turned. He felt like he was at his wit's end several points throughout the day and how a dinner out at a nice restaurant with quiet colleagues who don't incessantly tease and tattle on each other, sounded positively delightful.   

photo

I felt myself start to choke up because I'd change places with him in a minute.

And that makes me think my ability to comprehend reality must be frozen solid.