After spending a few minutes contemplating how he was going to pull electricity in to a location where there was none, my husband hired an electrician and the chandelier was moved. Before the electricians were even packed up and out of the house, Charlie showed me a picture of the new television that he wanted to buy to replace our 12-year old model.
Then he showed me pictures of speakers and a shiny silver box.
Of course, if we were going to own this nice new television, we absolutely needed to have expanded cable with high-definition. And we'd also need full surround sound with six new speakers and a sub woofer. Because what was the purpose of owning a HD TV if you don't have the best picture and sound available?
It's. It's. It's like owning a boat and having it sit on a trailer in your garage!
At first, I was a hard sell on this purchase because I hardly ever watch television and we needed to save our money for Montessori tuition. But then Charlie reminded me that our children were no longer IN school. And? When American Idol came back on in two months, it would be like watching a real live concert.
I'd almost forgotten about that!
When I thought of watching the show on a big screen, I collapsed like a house of cards and the television, speakers and HD cable box were delivered within 24 hours. And then we told the children, sorry kids. Now you definitely can't go back to school because Mommy and Daddy have to pay for the new big screen TV that they need in order to watch America's best reality show.
But don't worry. You'll learn how to sing using a microphone.
We love American Idol.
It's my absolute favorite show on television. The problem is, I'm never able to get the children down to bed and the kitchen cleaned by the time the show starts. It's a self-imposed requirement that I clean the kitchen before I relax for the evening, because once I sit down at night, I'm instantly too tired to do anything else. And I just can't live with a macaroni and cheese veneer across our table and floors.
So, I always miss the beginning of the show. And sometimes, I'll miss an entire airing because I get sidetracked with something else that I need to do. Or, if my schedule is really hectic - I'll space out on what day of the week it is.
But, with this new television system that Charlie bought, we now have a digital video recorder, which is probably one of the coolest things ever invented. Now, we just record American Idol and we watch it whenever we have a chance.
Last night, we watched this past week's taping and today I feel compelled to give my opinion on this year's contestants. (Remarkably, I didn't know who got booted off until I watched the show. I'm really good at diverting my eyes from newspapers and search engines that flash the results.)
- Megan? She's a lot of fun and really beautiful but her time was up. I hope that the recognition and positive acknowledgment that she received from this show will serve her well in life.
- Scott? He should probably be kicked off next. Although he is great on the piano, I'm not feeling the love for his vocal ability.
- Anoop? He should probably go after Scott, possibly before. I don't know why, but I just cannot take this guy seriously. I keep seeing him in his button down Polo shirt and khaki slacks and all I can think is, "Anoop Dog! could you help me with my calculus homework?"
- Lil? Very good, but not the next American Idol.
- Matt? Very good, but not the next American Idol.
- Kris? Very, Very good. But not the next American Idol.
- Allison? I cannot believe she is only 16 years old. This girl has got some PIPES and I really think she could go far very.
- The story of Danny losing his wife and then going on to land a spot in the top 12 is awesome. He reminds me of a straight-laced young Robert Downey Jr and I'm holding hope that he'll belt out Desperado.
- The story of Adam working hard in the business and never catching a break and then going on to land a spot in the top 12 is awesome, too. I think the comparison Paula made of him to Steven Tyler and Mick Jagger is spot-on.
So do you watch the show?
Who do you think is going to go all the way?
And most importantly, do you vote?
I certainly hope you do. Since I usually don't watch the show until a week after it airs, my vote doesn't count much.