Sunday, November 24, 2013

the italian job

This past week, I made my first trip - ever - to Europe.

photo-300

And it was awesome. 

When Charlie asked me what I enjoyed the most about the experience, I hesitated because the whole thing was amazing. Including but not limited to my upgraded international flight to and fro.

photo-230

Our company policy requires that any time we travel internationally, we must fly Business Class or, First Class, if Business Class is not available.  I've flown First Class only a handful of times in my life - and only because I've been bumped.  I've never actually PAID for the upgrade before, because to me - I'd definitely rather save the money (which is usually 2X as much) since I'm still getting to where I need to be, albeit perhaps a bit less comfortably.  But after flying in the "front of the bus" for the past week - I'm afraid I can never go back to coach/economy.

I've tasted the sugar and it is SWEET.

IMG_0299

IMG_0302

IMG_0312

For example, on my 9-hour flight to Rome, Italy, I was greeted upon boarding the plane, with a glass of champagne.  NO, I didn't have two glasses of champagne. (OK. I did. But in this photo, one of those glasses belonged to the passenger sitting next to me....)

photo-233

There were warm nuts, cheese and crackers, wine, fresh fruit - and a delicious dinner. There was even a HOT FUDGE SUNDAE, made to order, and a plethora of movies available.

photo-236

I had a huge seat that fully reclined to a bed, in addition to a thick blanket, and pillow.  My flight attendant provided me with a little toiletry case that included an eye cover, ear plugs, lotion, tooth brush - toothpaste - combs and assorted supplies that a worldly traveler may need.

photo-234

When I got up from my seat to go use the restroom before retiring for the night, my eyes fell upon the people in coach who were separated from my section by a thin curtain; they were packed together like sardines and trying to sleep while sitting straight up. My heart broke for them.  So I contemplated my good fortune....

photo-237

And promptly fell asleep.

photo-238

When I awoke, it was daylight and we were flying over the Atlantic Ocean...

IMG_0307

And then, the breathtaking Alps. 

IMG_0295

As I was taking these pictures, I was freaking out.

IMG_0293

Not just because of the incredible visible geology, but because of the sheer magnificence. 

IMG_0289

OH MY GOSH.

IMG_0287

THIS IS GORGEOUS!

IMG_0283

I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING SO BEAUTIFUL IN MY LIFE!

IMG_0279

WOULD YOU LOOK AT THIS!

IMG_0281

Ricola!

Then the flight attendant brought me breakfast - and instead of worrying about the amount of food I'd consumed on this flight ... I should have just realized that it was a good primer for the unbelievable culinary week ahead as I traveled throughout Italy.

photo-299

... to be continued.