Wednesday, November 13, 2013

11.12.13

Yesterday was Charlie's birthday.

While the day was busy for both of us - me with a full day of work, and him with volunteering at the children's school most of the morning - last night, we had a fantastic dinner party.  In attendance was my sister, Eileen, who was visiting from Michigan. And my co-worker, Felicia, who was in town from Houston on business.  Charlie put all of his culinary skills to the test and whipped up an amazing meal for the eight of us.  He had the table decorated beautifully and had even made his own birthday cake.

As if it wasn't bad enough that he had to make his own birthday cake (at least I bought the supplies), he was disappointed that he couldn't find our 8-inch round pans, and had to instead, use various sizes which he thought made it look like his cake had been made in an Easy-Bake Oven.   He then lamented that it seemed like just a few years ago, he was celebrating his 27th birthday and where have the last 20 years gone?!  

When I put the candles on his cake, and we all joined in chorus to sing, "Happy Birthday",  I said to my husband, "You're not 74. But doesn't it just make you feel YOUNGER seeing your candles configured like this?!" And once he put on his appropriate eye glasses so he could see the candles, he agreed that yes, it did.

DSC_0447

Now, in my book .... this is what you call PERSPECTIVE.

(Happy birthday, Charlie my love.  Rock on 47!)