Monday, August 28, 2023

if only I'd had a crystal ball...

For those who remember, about two years ago at this time, I was lamenting that one of my children was failing school. The thought had crossed my mind at least a dozen times that she might not be promoted to the next grade. She might not graduate.  The potential of her attending college was looking more and more slim. From my extremely limited and fear-rooted perspective, her whole future was unraveling before my very eyes. 

But then, we went away on vacation - never went back - I resigned from my career, had a nervous breakdown (that some days I think is still going on?), sold a house, bought a house, enrolled the kids in a new school, and suddenly found ourselves residents of Vermont.   

Within the first week of attending her new school, Carolyn said she was going to turn a new leaf, and wow - DID SHE EVER.   She ran for and won a position on Student Council, which she maintained until she graduated.  She immersed herself in choir, theater, and alpine skiing.  She joined the track and field team, and won second place in the state for shot put.  She did equally well in discus. 

She helped found a second girls-BSA Scout troop, and became the second female Eagle Scout in the State of Vermont.  She easily could have been first, but I'm certain she delayed just to annoy me. 

"It's not a rush, MOM." 

Throughout her 11th and 12th grade years, she maintained nearly straight A's and her GPA skyrocketed.  When she graduated this past June, to everyone's surprise, we learned during commencement that she had received an academic scholarship. The announcement made me want to cry, and also, stand up and scream while punching my fists in the air, "YES! YOU DID THIS!!" 

While Elizabeth's high school experience had been a little smoother on the academic front than Carolyn's, it is important to remember the struggles that she, too, has overcome.  Speech impediment and therapy through fourth grade, diagnosis for dyslexia in second grade that led to extensive classroom support through middle school.  The intensity of the support would have continued through high school, if Elizabeth hadn't wanted to shake her special ed teachers like a bad habit, and also, COVID hadn't hit.  

During her final IEP meeting with her teachers this past spring, her AP English teacher said that she has never, and I repeat never, met a student that perseveres like Elizabeth.  

She explained to me, "We read 'The Illiad' in class this year.  Elizabeth was having a difficult time with the version that was assigned, so she asked if she could go to the library and see if there was a different version that she could read.  Of course I agreed.  So Elizabeth checked out and read one, and then another version. Then she read a third version.  Then, she went back and read the version that I had assigned the class, because she wanted to be able to read what everyone else was reading."  

The teacher's jaw dropped open and she shook her head.  "I've never met a student, in my 30 years of teaching, that read not one - not two - not three - but FOUR versions of The Illiad.  It is NOT an easy piece to read without dyslexia!  Not only has she earned an A+ AP English, I'd wager she has the best grasp of the story from anyone in the class!"  

Today, both Carolyn and Elizabeth started their freshman year at the University of Vermont.  These were the pictures they sent me earlier this morning.  

It takes me only ten minutes (seven if the lights are all green ... my previous estimate was off by two!) to drive from our house to their dorms. As happy as that makes me, it makes me happier yet that they are THRIVING. 

Carolyn is on the rowing team. Elizabeth is running cross-country. They are both living on campus, in separate dorms, and are having the time of their lives. 

Although I helped them move in last week, yesterday, I zipped over to campus for a couple hours and took a car full of their new college buddies to Trader Joe's so they could stock up on snacks.  As we were driving around, I had to pinch myself at how fortunate we are to be HERE.   We've already started discussing some of the out-of-state students that might come home with them for Thanksgiving.... I'm expecting we may actually have 10 in the house.  

So, it's probably a good thing William is in Europe. We're going to need his room! 

2 comments:

  1. I am just catching up on your posts from the last couple months but I am just so moved by both your incredible perspective on your kids’ paths as well as your beautiful writing. I found your blog back when I was a college student and your trip were babies. Now they are in college and I have my own baby. Thanks for sharing your motherhood journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meghan! Thank you for your note! Motherhood is such a wonderful adventure. Hang on and enjoy the ride! ❤️

      Delete