Friday, February 26, 2016

crossing the bridge

This past weekend, William bridged from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts.

DSC_0051

I am so proud of him for this accomplishment,  and so proud of Charlie for how he has supported him on this journey.  Also, for finishing up the Arrow of Light a few minutes before the ceremony began.

DSC_0049

My husband really deserves so much credit with the success William has had in Cub Scouts. Charlie was his devoted Den Leader for four and a half years (Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelo I and 1/2 year of Webelo II); found a new Pack for him to join in Texas after we moved - and has continued to encourage him to wrap up his Super Achiever award, which is no small feat ... particularly when you move and are joining a new Den.

They're both awesome and I'm so proud.

Here's the day, in pictures...

William, being handed his Arrow of Light.  I'd handed my camera to our good friend, Jon, and after doing so, quickly realized that I had no tissues so couldn't remain on the stage.

DSC_0060

I've now retreated from the stage - found a box of tissues - and take pictures of Charlie removing William's Cub Scout kerchief...

DSC_0076

Blue Cub Scout tabs from his shoulders...

DSC_0077

And his Cub Scout hat.

DSC_0079

He then shook hands with his Cub Master, who held that handshake for a long moment, while he had some important words of wisdom to share about the road ahead.

DSC_0082

I'm telepathically communicating with my husband, "PSST ... I HAVE TISSUES..."

DSC_0084

William selects a black Sharpie ...

DSC_0086

To write his name alongside the names of all the other Cub Scouts who have crossed the Pack's  bridge to Boy Scouts.

DSC_0085

And then ... just like that, he crossed the bridge.

That wasn't so bad!  I thought.

DSC_0087

And it wasn't ... for the two whole milliseconds until the group of YOUNG MEN met him on the other side.

DSC_0088

This troop of young men quickly set to work.

DSC_0089

Affixing his olive green Boy Scout tabs to his shoulders...

DSC_0090

Tying on his Boy Scout kerchief, which hung down way past his itty bitty belly button...

DSC_0091

And sliding his Boy Scout kerchief holder in to place.

DSC_0092

The nose was sniffling, and the eyes were weeping because ... my baby.

DSC_0099

MY BABY!   The days are indeed long, but the years are far too short.

MyBeautifulBabies

We left the Blue and Gold Banquet (I'm sure he looks older here) ...

Untitled

And headed straight to the soccer field, where Henry's Ricardo's team won their fourth straight game...

DSC_0165

While his big brother practiced his mad soccer skills.

DSC_0161

See?! Totally awesome!

DSC_0163

I'm so proud.  :)