Sunday, April 20, 2014

my easter birthday

My research has shown that Easter has only fallen on April 20th four times since 1875.

DSC_0080

The last time Easter fell on 4/20 was in 2003.  I remember the date clearly, because the day before, Charlie had bought me a bright red convertible for my birthday, that we drove around on Easter Sunday.  My birthday, April 20th, the following year, was spent learning that I was expecting triplets and the bright red convertible I had received the year before would soon be replaced for a minivan.

It was an excellent exchange. 

We have been in Florida for the past week, enjoying the beach life with my mother and Jim. This morning I woke up to see the sun rise over our porch...

DSC_0068

Charlie and I had our mugs of refreshments ... him = coffee, me = orange juice.

(Life is indeed Good!)

DSC_0069

... while our girls ran around collecting Easter Eggs (that we then had to re-hide so that they could find them again).

DSC_0064

Our boys spent the night at Noni and Jimbo's apartment, directly downstairs, and we weren't expecting to see them until later.  But before we had a chance to get out of our pajamas, we were surprised by a little entourage of birthday greeters - including my mother's neighbor - who came toting all kinds of birthday paraphernalia.  (Oops, just noticed everyone was out of their pajamas except me.)

 DSC_0077

The rest of the day flew past, as they so often do. There was a wonderful brunch that Charlie and my mother whipped up, bocci playing, pool splashing, a dinner party with the neighbors, and peaceful quiet time spent with my mother - the two of us talking for just a few minutes, before bed.   But what I hope to remember about this Easter birthday...



Is that it was really the perfect day.