Thursday, January 24, 2013

two-hour delay

It snowed last night.

DSC_0001

And that snow? Every bit of that one-inch stuck. As it turns out, it really helps snow stick when the ground is frozen and since it's been in the 20's the past few days, the ground is plenty frozen.

DSC_0016

It's supposed to snow again tomorrow night. Which is great news for us, because we're supposed to take the children skiing for their first time ever this weekend.  It'll be the first time I've been on skis in 12 years and I'm a little nervous. Not because I don't know how to ski. I know how to ski rather well, but it feels like there's been a lot of aging that's happened in the past 12 years and I'm not so sure my knees are as stable as they were in 2001. Especially following my little skating mishap last year.

DSC_0010

School was delayed by two hours today due to the snow. With those extra two hours, the kids dug out all of their winter gear and ran outside to make snow angels, snow balls, snow men, and walk on the frozen creek in the backyard.

DSC_0017

Next week, it's supposed to be in the 50s.  This weather projection troubles me, greatly. I know there are more important things in the world to think about and pray for, but I've been praying for a white-out blizzard that traps us inside for a week and will require our children to wear the gear that they've donned less than six times since we've moved here.

DSC_0020

If one day, we suddenly up and move stakes to Canada ... understand it was because I couldn't stand the thought of our children outgrowing boots that were hardly ever worn.

3 comments:

  1. AMEN! -- The last time we got a decent snow in my area of Kentucky (which we since refer to as the "Snow dome") was in 2008... 6 inches in early March that lasted all of two days before it was 70 degrees and gone. It's been 15 years since we saw the elusive snowstorm of 10 or more inches. Before that we used to get them every couple of years. Blah. We've been predicted to get several inches of snow and had it completely miss us so many times the past few years that it's getting depressing. I just want ONE big blizzard. Frankly I don't even care if it lasts three days before the temps get warm... I just want to be able to go out and build a snow fort and a good sized snowman. They say global warming isn't real, well then I want our old weather back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to ski but like you I haven't been in years...I think in 2000 or 2001. I worry that legs would not like it as much as they did when I was 21. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It truly is amazing in VA how much it changes from year to year. One year we had a blizzard the government shut down for a day and a half. The next year, barely any snow, but it was 20 degrees for 4 months straight! No relief at all! Sounds like you are having a relatively mild winter this year which is nice.

    ReplyDelete