Tuesday, June 09, 2020

we were o’havering for this

After a quick stop for a sand blasted adventure yesterday at Great Sand Dune National Park, we headed northwest towards Salida, Colorado.


We weren’t exactly sure where we were going to land for the night, but with a camper there seem to be some great options.  We could stay at an RV park with full hookups, or we could “boondock” it and head out to a campsite where there would be no water or electric, usually at a fraction of the price. We love an adventure so opted for boondocking. (We thought it was called “boondoggling” and figured the term came from spending more than you needed in an RV Park. Turns out the correct term is “boondocking” which means out of the way or backwards. We’re learning new things everyday!)

Using a handy camping app we downloaded, we found the epic “O’Haver Lake” campground.  After driving up a steep and windy road, we weren't quite sure what we’d find - but we were met with the quintessential Colorado mountain camp. Nestled in the pines and aspens, backed up to snow capped peaks, with views of a pristine mountain lake.  There are few things that bring me more joy than to find a gem like this, off the beaten path! 


Charlie had cooked up and frozen different meals before we left Texas, so while our chicken tikka masala was warming up, we took a hike around the perimeter of this lake. We came back to find the kids sitting around a campfire, while William was practicing his new ukulele.


The one pickle is that I had a conference call at 6 AM and we had no cell phone reception. So after dinner, we detached our truck and Charlie took a quick ride with me to find a spot where I could take the call.   I've got to admit, there was a small part of me yesterday that was debating if we'd made the right choice buying and towing a 27-foot camper around.  The ease and simplicity of tent camping is really unsurpassed and trailers can be so unsightly to the seasoned tent camper.  But it was very nice to cook a wonderful dinner inside, out of the wind, and not have to schlep out of the tent in to the dark night at 0100 hours to use the restroom. 

And when I woke up early this morning, and stepped outside, I found myself in a totally unexpected snow-scape.  It was so toasty inside, I never would have guessed that it had been SNOWING outside while we were sleeping.  I can't say the same for our fellow campers who I know were frozen in their tents.  I've been there.  It isn't entirely fun. 

The truck was coated in snow and ice, and using a DVD from the car,  I cleared the windows and made it to my rendezvous point on time.  This was the view from my office, today.


After a few hours of calls - I drove back to camp, had breakfast with Charlie and the kids, and we took off on another hike around the area - hopping streams, soaking up the cool mountain breeze and fresh smell of pine.  Then we went back in to our toasty camper - made sandwiches for everyone, closed the door and drove away.  I've never broken down camp that fast.  IT WAS THAT EASY. 
 

While I do love tent camping (under the right conditions!), I am so grateful that we have Quarantinny.   Even our kids are blown away by how awesome this experience has been.  We've been discussing that if they hadn't spent their entire lives camping in a tent, they wouldn't fully appreciate this luxury for what it is. 
 

There's quite a community of Air Streamers out there - something else I never realized.  Charlie and I are meeting fellow Air Streamers, and seeing awesome rigs out there. Including this one that has its own little matching gear trailer....! 


We so totally made the right choice

#RetirementGoals

1 comment:

  1. As a mother of scouts who are now grown and a life time tent camper until a few years ago. I totally get the whole trailer thing. The first night we were in the RV it started to rain. I heard my husband actually giggle when the rain started knowing we were dry and wouldn't have to go hang the tents and sleeping bags in the garage when we got home. I envy you your time with your kids on a long trip. We were only able to do short trips. Arizona may be hot in the lower part of the state right now but the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Oak Creek Canyon, Sunset Crator and many others in Norther Arizona are well worth the trip and are cooler right now.

    ReplyDelete