Thursday, December 01, 2016

it's the most wonderful time of the year!

In this day and age of internet, the one thing you've (and by you've, I mean "I") got to be really cautious of - is the tendency to compare yourself to others - particularly with the world at your fingertips via Facebook or other online social / media platforms.

For as much as I applaud and am inspired by the highly organized / efficient people who have all of their shopping completed by the end of November (or earlier), and are able to quietly savor the season of Advent … despite my best efforts, that scenario has yet to play out for this full-time working mama of four.   When I think of all the things that I need to accomplish between now and 24 days from now, while also ensuring our kiddos stay current on their homework and special school assignments, and eat once (OK, maybe twice) a day … I feel a little like this:

Santa 2005

Despite that … Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday season.  With all of it's busyness and mild chaos that comes with setting up decorations, unraveling lights, shopping for just the right gift(s), writing Christmas poems, sending out hundreds of cards, baking - wrapping - continuing various traditions - and making merry … there is nothing I would rather do.  Yes, maybe one day I'll be able to sit back and relax during the entire month of December.  But it certainly won't be this year.

So however you embark on the holidays: whether slow and steady, at break-neck speed - or some combo of the two … I hope that in each moment - your heart and soul are filled with peace, joy and magic.  Ho, Ho, Ho … WOO-HOO!  It's Christmas time! 

Happy December!