Monday, July 18, 2016

boys (almost) only weekend

So while the girls are in South Carolina with my mom for two weeks, doing all kinds of girl things - like getting manicures and pedicures ...

Untitled

We've been having a great time with the boys.  We've been watching a lot of superhero movies, and this weekend, we went to the batting cages.

 Untitled

Watching Charlie up at bat, took me back to the day 25 years ago, when I first played softball with him on the Gneiss Guys intramural Geology Club softball team.

Untitled

He could tater it now, just like he tater'd it back then.  Swoon! 

Untitled

Then we went on the Go-Karts.  Charlie drove with Henry as his passenger, while I was William's passenger.  "This should be fun!" I naively thought as I hopped in to the Go-Kart with my son who has never driven anything in his life, except for his little John Deere tractor that went 0.5 MPH down a steep hill.

DSC_0006

But then the Go-Kart started to move and William was swerving all over the course and unintentionally cutting people off, and after he t-boned in to the guardrail, I grabbed the wheel and steered us back to safety.   I'd never really considered the terror that awaits me as our children all learn to drive (at approximately the same time), until that moment on the Go-Kart track.  Meanwhile, William was telling me how much his hands hurt from gripping the wheel for dear life, and what's with all the crazy drivers - several of whom were driving with their cell phones out, videoing the course?!   I'm smiling because he's just told me that he doesn't want to get his license until he's 30.

Untitled

We concluded our afternoon of fun on the bumper boats.  From a distance, it seemed like it was a pretty mild little ride, float around in an inner tube powered by a tiny motor - bump in to each other - there's a little squirter on front that may or may not get each other wet.

Untitled

Oh, what little did we know! 

The ride starts and because I was the first released from the dock, I got in to a position where I could immediately open fire directly on Charlie and he got so soaked, he couldn't even see out of his glasses.

Untitled

I was off-limits for a few seconds while I snapped off these pictures, and then I, too, was fair game and proceeded to get drenched.  But not as drenched as our boys, who kept finding themselves trapped - at just the right impact distance - between their two parents.

Untitled

We had so much fun, all of us laughing like mad, water dripping off our faces as we stood in our puddles contemplating if we should cancel our dinner reservation, or just bring a roll of paper towels with us in to the restaurant?

(We opted to pick up a pizza and go home to watch Iron Man.)

Untitled

I was talking with some colleagues today, all of whom have toddler daughters.  My message was that as wonderful as little girls are ... there's a special place in this world (and in my heart) for little boys who after a weekend of watching superhero movies with you, doesn't think twice about going out on bumper boats...

Untitled

Dressed up as Clark Kent.  (Swoon again!)