Tuesday, March 09, 2010

the first book i've ever written

So, I was cleaning out our closets this past weekend, which inevitably led to me cleaning out every square inch of our house and garage and vehicles, and I stumbled upon a few things that I thought were too good not to share.

Let me preface this by saying, if you aren't interested in learning about my history, look away now. And don't look back for another month. Maybe two. Because that's how long it's probably going to take for me to get through this stuff, which I consider to be absolutely, positively, fascinating and most definitely worthy of publication on my blog.

First up: My scrapbook, a vault of wonderful memories.

DSC_0001

A dear friend of our family, Evelee, gave this scrapbook to me as a high school graduation gift. I discovered it this weekend, as I was cleaning out boxes in our tiny attic. Currently, I'm not much of a scrapbooker, but from the amount of stuff I have jammed in to this book, I must have been pretty serious about it at one point in my life. I've got things glued down spanning from the early days of my life when I would sit with my Aunt Carolyn in the small office above my dad's store, all the way up to wine labels collected during my 21st birthday tour of Napa Valley. And now, I'm going to share my memories with you.

Did you know that I once wrote a book?

DSC_0002

It's true! I've been weaving tales and accompanying them to pictures for as long as I could write.

DSC_0004

Because it might be difficult to read, I've scanned all the pages so that you can more clearly see them. And now, without further adieu, I proudly present to you, the very first book that I ever wrote. The very first time in my life, that I brought a pen to paper in an effort to create and share a story with the world.

Brace yourself. Here it comes...

The Fox books, by Jenny.


sc00014299

Since I do have a vague recollection of writing (and illustrating!) this novel, I'm guessing I was around six. Or maybe I was 20? It's hard to tell. I've never been much of an artist. (Or good speller.)

sc00015d3d

But my story telling skills...

sc00017bf9

Have always been ... what's the word I'm looking for?

(Run, chicken! RUN!!!!)

sc0001acef

Dramatic? (That fox looks MAD!)

sc0001dc93

Suspenseful?

sc0001f4f7

Conclusive?

sc000253dd

Talk about a cliff hanger!

I have absolutely no idea what happened to that chicken cikine who was ouley most gote by that foxs. I'm hopeful that she was like the little red hen and successfully outwitted the predator in hot pursuit. I'm thinking I might have to write a sequel, or put one of my children on the job.

This is great stuff. But just you wait until I share my fourth grade journal.

It gets even better.

15 comments:

  1. That is PRICELESS!!!! Thank you for sharing - can't wait to see the sequel....or the fourth grade journal (kinda makes me wish I'd kept some of that stuff...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I am hysterical. I love, love, love your chicken story. You were totally Mensa material.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I think the most frightening thing of all is I REMEMBER HEARING ABOUT THAT CHICKEN BOOK. Why do I remember it?? Because my mother (Aunt Carolyn) raved about it to us and (anyone else who would listen)no less than 100 times and promptly declared you to be some sort of adorable blonde genius/prodigy/wonderchild.

    But then again...you were. :)

    XOXO AM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who knew a novelist at the tender age of 6!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm *REALLY* on the edge of my seat now! :D

    ~Cindy! :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hilarious. I love all your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha - ha - this is awesome! this is why we have those totes full of stuff in the garage and don't throw them away! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!!!! It made me smile (okay, okay, it made me LOL) and I needed that this morning.
    Thanks for sharing. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Best book I've read in ages. Suspense, drama, and an ending that really makes you think. I love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is awesome! That give me an idea. I too wrote many when I was young...

    Shoul dmake for some good blog fodder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Naw...I bet you were three or four.Carolyn did rave about her Tweet. I suppose I'll go down in history raving about Mary E. and your Mother about the trips. So cute were you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is absolutely hysterical. Such a talent at a young age! Please share anymore "gems" you find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. IS THAT FROM THE CLOSET THAT I CLEANED OUT AND BROUGHT TO YOU FOR CHRISTMAS..i THINK YOU WERE YOUNGER THAN SIX. I THINK YOU MADE IT WHEN YOU WERE IN THE OFFICE WITH AUNT CAROLYN.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete