Sunday, June 14, 2009

she's fit for the stage

This morning, I told Carolyn that she could come with me on an outing to the store. Since one-on-one time is a privilege for our kids, she was tickled.

"The only condition,"
I told her, "Is that you need to put on your shoes and socks before we leave."

"OK!" she happily agreed.

Yet, for the next 10 minutes, while I set about finishing a shopping list and grabbing items I'd need for the outing... whenever I glanced down at Carolyn, she had one sock on her foot and had slumped in to a heap on the floor.

(This picture quality is awful, but I was carrying a toddler in one arm.)

"Gracie, put your shoes on. If you want to go, you need to wear shoes."

"Gracie, come on. You can do it."

After another five minutes had lapsed and my child rolled around on the floor and moaned that putting on her shoes was SO TIRING, I suggested that she come over to where I was standing at the counter so I could assist.

She began moving across the floor on her belly.

One inch at a time.

Abandoning the one lone sock, behind.

Groaning. Lamenting. OH! The pure exhaustion.

This exertion was simply too much for my young daughter and she put her face down and began to snore. That's when I called out to her brother, "William! Do you want to go to the store with me? It looks like Gracie is going to stay home with dad and take a nap!"

Clearly, that was the motivation that she needed.

In less than a minute, Carolyn had jumped off the floor, pulled on her other sock, jammed her feet in to her shoes and was standing by the door with her arm outstretched singing to me, "MOMMY! COME ON DEAR! HURRY UP SWEETIE! WE ARE GOING TO BE LATE!!"

Perhaps I'm being a little premature, but I wouldn't be surprised if she lands her first Tony by the time she's 10.

11 comments:

  1. Oh my GOODNESS! Thank goodness someone else's child does this, I thought mine was the only one. Drives me INSANE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! Tony award for sure. My daughter gets up in the morning puts her shoes on and demands that we go somewhere. She is a bye bye girl.

    Thanks for the visit. It makes my day when you stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. Kids are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I'll be joining you in the audience as our children accept their awards. I already have my application for the performing arts magnet school ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It never ceases to amaze me how one kid never wants something until a sibling is about to get it. So funny...your kid stories always crack me up!

    By the way, thanks for the visit and comment on my cat picture...I had no idea that you would *ever* read my lil ol blog, and I about flipped out when I saw your comment. I'm a nut but I felt slightly starstruck. LOL! I've been faithfully reading (mostly lurking) on your blog since before Henry, and all the stuff you do is incredible and I am always either laughing or in awe, sometimes both... I'm just glad I (well, my cat, actually) could return the favor. *Grin* Have a lovely day and thanks for making mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was it Easter? Or perhaps Someone's birthday?? ;-)

    I'll vote for her! Marg

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is hilarious. I have 5 month old triplets and I followed your blog religiously during my pregnancy. I think you are Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI... Brian was just talking about you and our trip to SD.

    Revelation from a 6 year old: "Ya know Mom, Jenny works pretty hard. She has to take care of all those kids and they are still babies! Good thing Charlie knows how to cook! They might all starve." ;-)
    Talk to you soon. Marg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how funny. I am glad that I am not the only one with dramatic children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Someone needs to come out with a video of common tantrums. (I'd buy it) The shoe thing is a major issue every morning. My kids are 4 and 6 and I was dressing them in the morning before I leave because I can't sit there for 20 minutes while they do EXACTLY the same thing as your daughter...and then I get frustrated because clearly they are old enough to dress themselves! Now, I'm offering stickers as bribes and a treat for every 10 stickers...it is working just okay...but it is a start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some days it is just too hard to get up and get going. I know how she feels---my granddaughter.
    NONI

    ReplyDelete