Thursday, February 21, 2008

live blogging: sleep school day 1 / nap 1

Henry was awake this morning at 5:13 AM. I might have forgotten to tell Charlie my plan to let him stay in his crib until 6:00 AM, because my husband popped out of bed - ran to get him - and stuck him next to me before I even knew what was happening.

I nursed him for about 45 minutes, although I'm not entirely sure because I fell back to sleep, and we all woke up for the day at 6:45 when I screamed because Carolyn was trying to give me butterfly kisses while I slept. Holy crap. Have you ever woken up with a face in your face staring at you - and not expected that face to be there at all?

Very scary.

After crawling around on the floor for a while and playing with various toys, Henry had breakfast at around 8:10 and was yawning from his highchair by 8:40. He was in his crib by 8:45 and after approximately five minutes of crying - (which could better be described as whining) - was asleep. He made some crying sounds at 9:30, but I decided to give him a few minutes and after less than two, he was back to sleep. He woke up babbling at 10:15.

Now, granted - this isn't the first time I put him in his crib for his morning nap, but it is the first time that he has slept for an hour and a half. Keys to success: putting him down earlier and not rushing to grab him at the first noise he makes.

We are now off to the park.

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Hope the afternoon nap goes as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting!

    Keep up the sleep school...I am a huge fan of children who know how to fall asleep (and back to sleep when they wake up too soon) on their own. And keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. woman, you make it all seem so easy. you are inspiring me to get my own bundle o' joy into sleep boot camp. you are definitely the drill sargeant i am following.

    Sir, yes Sir!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo for morning sleeps! If he's sleeping like that during the day, then maybe you'll still be able to have the treat of having that adorable little baby in bed with you for an hour or so in the morning?

    Who knows! Early days yet. I got everything crossed for the afternoon sleep. (Do you know how hard it is to type with your fingers crossed?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had to comment about you screaming when Carolyn tried to give you butterfly kisses. I had quite a chuckle upon reading that, to the point where tears were in my eyes and every time I would try to finish the paragraph I would start laughing. And laughing. And laughing. I just wanted to thank you for putting a smile on my face, this blog is a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. um...everytime I read the first paragraph about butterfly kisses I DIE laughing...I don't really know why but it cracks me up picturing all that! I sleep way too lightly to let anyone get that close to me before I would know it! :) Good luck on the sleep thing...looks like Henry is getting the hang of it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is so great that they don't even know what "gun" and "kill" means. I only wish it could stay that way FOREVER! :D

    ~Cindy! :)
    ..

    ReplyDelete