Sunday, September 14, 2014

my mother's daughter

On Sunday nights, we host a small prayer group through our church.  Tonight, we all sat outside and the kids ran around and played in the distinctly crisp fall air.  As I was cleaning up, one of the woman from our group asked if I wanted to keep the used Red Solo cups that were in perfectly good shape and after a very brief moment of hesitation I said, "YES. Let's keep them: reduce, reuse, recycle!" I then brought them inside and stuck them in the dishwasher - nestling them tightly so they don't flip  upside down and fill with water during the rinse cycle.

DSC_0008

Charlie, as he was cleaning up the kitchen with me, spied the plastic cups filling the top rack of the dishwasher and said, "What are you doing? Don't you think this is a little ... um ... redneck, Jen?  You're washing plastic cups!"

What can I say?  The older I grow, the more thrifty I become.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time and I'll be washing sponges.