Friday, January 03, 2014

new year's eve with dad

We spent New Year's Eve with my father, who last year, was transferred to a nursing home.  I'll admit, I'm really struggling with the temptation to bust him out.  While I understand that he really requires the full-time care that a nursing home provides ... it's really difficult seeing him there.

DSC_0038

When we arrived with a box full of take-out Chinese food that we'd ordered a whole three hours earlier because it turns out everyone in Massachusetts eats Chinese food on New Year's Eve ... my sister, Janet, and her husband, Bob, had already arrived and were sitting with my father.  We wheeled Dad in to a common room for dinner ...

DSC_0001

And while Janet gave my father a manicure ...

DSC_0016

DSC_0015

DSC_0023

The girls were by his side, making bracelets for everyone.

DSC_0018

We played games, and my brother-in-law taught Elizabeth how to play cards...

DSC_0028

And after she lost three straight hands, someone joked it was a good thing she was playing for coins and not for clothes.

DSC_0031

There was a talent show, put on by the children, which included Henry singing, "Hallelula!"

DSC_0011

Janet had brought my father a grooming kit for Christmas, so she set about trimming his sideburns, eyebrows, neck and ears...

DSC_0025

DSC_0040

While Carolyn soaked his feet for a pedicure.

DSC_0030

After we'd primped and pampered him for an hour, we turned my father around in his wheelchair so everyone could see the finished product.

DSC_0054

DSC_0055

Charlie sized him up and said, "Walter, you look GREAT as a redhead!"

DSC_0037

After the shocked - confused - worried expression left my father's face ... we watched him laugh like he'd never laughed before.

DSC_0052

And it was awesome.