Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Blankies for Babies

I'm embarking on something very important ... tonight. I'm going to blow the dust off my knitting needles, pull out some good yarn, and start whipping out blankets.

For newborn babies in Africa.

Recently, I read a post on a fellow bloggers blog (who happens to live in South Africa) about the plight of women living in poverty in her country. These women give birth in government hospitals and have little more than the clothes on their backs. They have nothing.

The sister of this blogger, has started a charity (Bosom Buddies) to help these women and their children. The purpose of Bosom Buddies is to collect new and used clothing (and other items) for the babies of these destitute mothers. What really compelled me to want to DO something to help, is when I saw that a reader on this bloggers blog, crocheted five baby blankets and put together care packages that she then sent from the US, to Africa ... for these women and their newborn babies. I wept when I read about her acts of kindness.

And then I thought ... I could do that. Why aren't I doing something like that?!

The other day during my drive to and from LA - listening to the radio the whole way - I was humbled by so much suffering in the world. When I was thinking what more I could do to teach our children compassion and how to spread love ... this is exactly the kind of thing I meant.

I've decided that if there is one thing I can do ... it is knit baby blankets.

Here's a picture of me ... 29 weeks pregnant, unable to get off the couch, my monster 1/2 gallon water jug (that I filled up and drank FOUR TIMES a day), carpal tunnel braces on both arms, a supersized bottle of Tums by one side a supersized box of Kleenex by the other ... with a baby blanket I was in the process of creating (that pink, blue and white thing to the right).

Now, the reason I am posting about my new quest on this blog ... is because I know all too well, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I hope that next week at this time (that'd be Tuesday, June 20th), I can post a picture of a 1/3 completed baby blanket for the world to see. And if I don't ... I expect that at least one person out there in the blogosphere will razz me for it. Let me rephrase that...

If I don't ... I want at least one person out there in the blogosphere to RAZZ me for it.

1 comment: