Sunday, May 01, 2016

my buttons ... they poppeth offeth! (the awesome nephew edition)

I've written about my nephew, Tommy, before.

5722819f08348.image

He's my sister, Eileen's son, and we adore him.   This last week, we received word that after winning various competitions in his platoon, battalion, regiment and brigade ... he won Soldier of the Year for the entire 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

To put it in perspective, that's from a pool of ~25,000 soldiers.   Next up, he'll be competing for the Airborne Corps ... and pending the outcome of that - soldier of the year for the entire Army. 

To say that our family is proud of our Tommy ... and all of our boys in uniform would be a significant understatement!

Untitled

This is a photo of William and his cousin - my other awesome nephew, Michael, the 105 and counting Merit Badge Eagle Scout, who flew in to surprise us for my birthday week.  And who went camping with William on his first Camporee, which his troop WON after beating out 10 other troops from the Houston area.   Here, they're practicing knot tying en route to their campsite:  

Untitled

We had such a wonderful time with Beth and Michael while they were visiting with us.  One of the highlights of their visit - in my opinion! - was a horseback ride that I took them on.   

Untitled

The girls and I have been riding almost every week for the past four months, and it is now one of my favorite things to do with people whenever they visit us in Texas.  Here's my sister Beth, checking out the four-legged inventory and carefully pondering her steed selection. 

Untitled

I was so happy and proud of my sister for joining us on this ride!  

Untitled

She hadn't been on a horse for over 40 years, but she climbed on and took off, like a pro. 

Untitled

We were worried about the flooding with all of the storms in Houston, but there wasn't too much standing water... 

Untitled

Well, except this "pond" that had a residency of approximately six alligators. 

Untitled

So we were told, once we had safely crossed to the other side. 

Untitled

At this point, Beth gave up trying to keep her feet dry. 

Untitled

During this ride, Michael was able to work on his horsemanship merit badge. 

Untitled

In addition to learning about horse anatomy, grooming, tacking, and care - Michael had to walk, trot and canter.  He did awesome and has expressed an interest in possibly procuring a bomb-proof horse one day that he can take with him when he goes hunting and fishing in the New England wilderness. 

Untitled

His favorite thing to do was trot, and I could hear him whispering to his horse, "Trot ... Trot ... Trot!"  When his horse would change gait, Michael would break in to laughter. 

Untitled

Going in to this, I really wasn't sure what my 15-year old nephew would think of this experience, but I've never seen him so happy or excited in my life.  And best of all?   There was NO chaffing!   Poor Michael, I told him he'd never live that one down!   :)

As for Tommy, I won't ever let him live down the time I took him to Disney Land - when he was six - and he wanted to ride Space Mountain with me.  We stood in lines twice and made it all the way to loading, only to get out of line twice. Once because he had to use the bathroom; and again because he was going to "frow-up."  Eileen finally stepped in and said, "It's nerves. Let's go to "It's a Small World."  And so we did.  I've been thinking that what I'd really like to give him as a gift of winning the Soldier of the Year, is a trip to Disney so we can finally ride Space Mountain together.  :)

All kidding aside, these two nephews ... I couldn't be prouder of them.  Or more grateful that they are in our children's lives as such outstanding role models.

DSC_0158

Bravo to my sisters, Beth and Eileen for raising such amazing young men!