Thursday, October 30, 2014

back-up vocals

We listen to music all the time.

Pandora is constantly playing in our kitchen and my favorite channel, as of late, is Loggins and Messina.  Here's a little bit of fun trivia: almost thirty years ago, when Charlie was living in Santa Barbara and wrapping up his senior year in high school, he actually volunteered with Jim Messina at his sound studio in Carpinteria. That experience lasted for six months, until Charlie told Mr. Messina that he thought he should be compensated for his efforts and Mr. Messina laughed. That exchange is what promptly led to the end of my husband's dream of pursuing a career in the music industry, and the dawn of his career as a short order cook at a burger joint near the beach.

These days, my favorite song is "Danny's Song."  Whenever I hear it come on, Charlie will remind us that he once worked with Jim Messina until I shush everyone within a 200-foot radius and belt out the words in my most soulful rendition.

As it would turn out, Henry's also very partial to "Danny's Song." Tonight, after the kids had been in bed for more than an hour, it came on Pandora.  And as I stood singing along, feeling each word with every ounce of my being, I sensed that I had company.  I opened my eyes and there was Henry, holding a whisk and clearly singing with his eyes closed, "... and even though we ain't got money, I'm so in love with you honey!" 

DSC_0007

Everything will bring a chain of love. 

Love.

Love.

Love.