Monday, July 05, 2010

three

The Fourth of July has always been one of my favorite holidays. I love everything about it. The patriotism, the festive music, the parades, the pancake breakfasts at fire houses, a day off to be thankful for our freedoms and to bask in the glory of summer. And then, to end the day, a magnificent firework display at night.

Henry was born on the Fourth of July and the holiday that I had always enjoyed, became that much better because I am reminded of the amazing gift I have received in my little boy. He has brought an infinite amount of love and happiness to this home, and to my heart. There's no doubt, the fireworks and celebrations have taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Tonight, we watched the firework show and Henry sat on my lap, curled up under his American Flag quilt - that a good friend had made especially for him. Clutching in each hand, was a different Buzz Lightyear figurine that he received on his birthday. He would bury his head in my chest when the big fireworks would rock our bones and light up the sky. Through it all, I kept my hand on his cheek and would whisper in his ear, "It's OK my sweet. You are safe with me."

During that time, as my older children sat scattered around me, no longer scared for their lives and crowding on to my lap for safety, I sat cuddling my now three-year-old and I couldn't stop thinking...

1) How awesome is it to have your birthday on the Fourth of July?

2) How did I ever get so lucky to be the mother of this beautiful brood?

3) How did three years go by so fast?

The fact that time is clipping by so quickly and these children are becoming more independent by the day, honestly stuns me. By next year, I suspect Henry will be brave enough to sit with his siblings on the grass. And so I got choked up thinking that these days of little ones, that rally to be held, with their pudgy hands and chubby cheeks are severely numbered.

Be that as it may ... I can't help but echo the verse:

I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always.

As long as I'm living...


3686442636_5641e34da8

My baby you'll be.

Happy 3rd birthday, my sweet love.

Every day, I adore you more and I'm so incredibly thankful you came to me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh I feel exactly the same way bout my three punks...Birthdays are bittersweet!
    Happy Birthday to your little man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Red, White & Baby Blue Birthday! What a beautiful photo of you and Henry!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Henry, I can't believe 3 years has gone by so fast either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby is the oldest of his siblings and was born on the 4th of July and after the siblings came along his B-Day always was an "oh yea, today's your B-Day" and he NEVER had another party. Once we got together my rule was HE gets to decide what we do..... we may say Happy 4th of July to others but it is not spoken to eachother until late in the day. The first half of the day is dedicated to him and then if HE wants to go to fireworks (which he ALWAYS does) he picks where we go! B-Day's are so important as is the 4th of July, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter (etc.) so why should those who were SO BLESSED to be born on such a special day have that part of the special day forgotton about. Happy Birthday Henry!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo, beautiful entry. Enjoy your double celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday, little Henry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Henry! Love, Brian (My 4th of July baby turned 8!) Marg.

    ReplyDelete