Friday, December 29, 2006

Nature versus Nurture

Who ever said that genetic tendencies are learned and not inherited ... needs to come spend an afternoon at our house. We have our own personal experiment in nature versus nurture going on every single day.

For the record: I treat our daughters no differently than I treat our son. At least I don't think I do.

Yet, the way that our girls watch me, even when I don't think they're watching, and emulate my every move ... is astounding. Carolyn and Elizabeth will hold their baby dolls tenderly, attempt changing their diapers, swaddle them in blankets, softly pat their back, give them gentle kisses, read them stories, tuck them in their cradles and whisper "I you" [translation: I love you] in their ears.

That's not to say William isn't compassionate. While wearing his sister's headband and a pair of my high heel shoes (that he ambushes my closet for every morning) he will tenderly hug his teddy bear. But then he will promptly throw it on the floor and back his toy truck over it, while his sisters stare in horror.

Numerous times.
For the record: I have never once embraced my son and then thrown him on the floor and backed a toy truck over him.

Never once.

8 comments:

  1. Very funny Jen. We have the same situation over here. The girls were at their kitchen the other day making meals. My son came over to "eat." Then threw it all over the ground and laughed. For the record I have never done this!!!!!! (yet)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure you haven't......

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the one of William in your heels. I have lots of blackmail pics like that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to worry, Kyle ambushes my mom's closet daily and wears her shoes while carrying one of her purses. He also follows me to the bathroom and puts my headband on his head like I do to wash my face. He even tries to "fix" my hair! Of course Scott, my brother, has a fit!!!! But his day is coming, because they just found out that they are having a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. I often wonder how there can be such a thing as the "nature v. nurture" debate! Surely anyone with children must agree -- they are hatched "who they are". My boys love trains and trucks. My girl loves baby dolls and pretty dresses!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures of Elizabeth & Carolyn are adorable. They already have that motherly instinct and they're just babies!

    The picture of William in your heels is absolutely PRICELESS. It is show-it-to-his-future-girlfriends-and-embarass -the-hell-out-of-him-so-he-hates-you-like-teenage-boys-often-do worthy. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pictures of Elizabeth & Carolyn are adorable. They already have that motherly instinct and they're just babies!

    The picture of William in your heels is absolutely PRICELESS. It is show-it-to-his-future-girlfriends-and-embarass -the-hell-out-of-him-so-he-hates-you-like
    teenage-boys-often-do worthy. Oh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes me feel better that William wears heels. My boys LOVE raiding my closet and it makes my husband crazy. Adorable pics!

    ReplyDelete